Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Myth of the Cool Dad

By most accounts I am still a young man.  When I tell people I'm 26 I feel the weight of that immaturity.  I still have the vanity of a young man.  I have a situation that makes me struggle with my that vanity though: Babies.  

The young man vanity dies hard.  I can try to dress like a young man.  I can work on all the hottest slang.  I can go to a bar or a concert and sometimes slip in with the undergrads unnoticed.   I can even try my damndest to have adult conversation with someone.  All of that is merely temporary because I'm a father.  And part of being a father is being degraded by and for my children.

Before I had kids I Loved Halloween because I could dress up as Zutroy the Vampire Clown.  I'd  put on a cloak, a cape, fangs, and clown makeup.  It was awesome.   May I present you with my last 3 halloweens.

Halloween 2008 
101 Dalmations (Melissa was Cruella DeVille)

Halloween 2007
The Rubbles -Barney, Betty, and BamBam

Halloween 2006
Peanuts -Lucy, Charlie Brown, and Snoopy

Folks, welcome to the world of theme costumes.  Goodbye Vanity.  At least I still have more dignity than these babies.  

3 comments:

  1. ha ha i want to see a picture of melissa as Cruella DeVille! you guys are cute. happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There actually wasn't a great picture of her costume. you can see her silver hair and dalmation jacket in the one picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha oh man that's funny. you don't look happy in any of those pictures. in fact, the 2007 one you have a "somebody please shoot me" smile on your face.

    ReplyDelete