Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Jason Mraz: Guilty Pleasure #1

Jason Mraz. Man I hate that guy. I hate how I turn up his music and sing along with it when I'm in the car. I REALLY hate that I spent an hour the other night watching live clips of his on Youtube. Why is he able to write such clever quicky lyrics and sing them with a sincerely beautiful voice? I want to punch him in the face.





Jason Mraz reminds me of Justin Timberlake in the way that you will NEVER see a (straight) guy put him in the "favorite music" section of their profile but you'll find his mp3's in their playlists.  Plus, I'm sure that either of those guys would be totally cool if they met some regular dude that is a fan since they are used to girls just fawning over them.  They'd be thrilled to talk me about seasonal beers and college football.




Other things I hate about Jason Mraz:
1. Association w/Trucker Hat movement a few years back
2. Self Reference in every song (Usually about his rhyming ability)
3. Fact that my wife wishes I'd dress like him

I saw Jason Mraz live back in 2004.  He played Freedom Weekend Aloft.  FWA is a festival in South Carolina centered around hot air balloons and usually a radio station will spend their entire years worth of marketing budget on trying to book a band someone has heard of.  Mraz went on before Fuel and Live.  He came out to a crowd that wanted to hate him.....and owned it.   Just him and some gigantic dude playing djembe playing in front of 5,000 people.   He earned my respect but not any of my money.....yet.


3 comments:

  1. I was with you at Freedom Weekend Aloft that year! I was totally surprised by how good Jason Mraz was - I expected him to be a pretender. Nope, that guy can sing, and he has fantastic rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you make me sick. ok you're right, he can sing. ok you got me, he's good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I was at that concert, too. I remember him yelling "are you all ready for some LIGHT ROCK??!!"

    ReplyDelete